Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Baby update

We had an ultrasound today to check baby's growth and to check the placenta. Baby looked great and is definitely getting bigger--2 lbs, 10 oz according to the scan. The tech told us when to look away so we didn't accidently see something (or nothing) in a specific gender-determining area. We asked about how many people don't find out the gender and she said sometimes it's as high as about 25% of their patients but it's usually less than that.

I'm about an inch away from bed rest but so far I've only been instruction to "take it very easy" until I see the cardiologist on Friday. My heart has been doing weird things that landed me in the ER last week after fainting several times in public. But hopefully we'll figure out a plan on Friday that doesn't include bed rest. My OB thinks that it's probably BECAUSE of the meds that I'm feeling this way (beyond exhausted, heart palpitations, extreme dry mouth, dizziness, ears ringing, etc) but because of my poor response to beta blockers, we really have no other medication options to control the gestational hypertension. So if I go off the meds, I will have to be on strict bed rest.

He did instruct me to stop taking the one med--and it's the one that I think is causing most of my symptoms--so hopefully that will help. But I think it's also the one doing the most work to control my blood pressure so I might be shooting myself in the foot. The last complication with that is my low iron levels. I can't take the iron supplements because they interfere with the absorption of the blood pressure med I'm now taking 3 times/day. So my iron levels are dropping, which doesn't help my exhaustion level, which is a side effect of the blood pressure med.

So I'm a complete wreck, but Baby is healthy (presumably--we'll know for sure after our visit with the pediatric cardiologist on Monday morning) and that's ALL that matters!

Here are the two latest photos:

Baby's profile



3/4D Image of Baby's face (No, there's not really a big hole in Baby's head)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for leaving an update. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and it's good to be able to read how you are doing. Please take care of yourself!! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out...I know I couldn't do much, but maybe something small like a big ole pot o' chili so you don't have to worry about dinner for a night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should be on bed rest-I worry about your health! I'm thankful the baby is doing good.

    I was spoiled with such easy pregnancies. Let me know if you need me to do any Christmas shopping or anything (like for Andy or whatever).

    ReplyDelete